What is School Games?
Supported by Sport England National Lottery funding and delivered by the Youth Sport Trust, School Games is a government led programme designed to deliver competitive school sport to all young people. This network currently services in excess of 17,500 registered schools who compete across School Games competitions and events.
It is FREE for all schools to register.
Since its inception in 2010 a network of School Games Organisers (SGOs) and Local Organising Committees (LOCs) have worked alongside the Youth Sport Trust in delivering three distinct levels of competition ranging from intra to inter school activity, in addition to National Finals, which are supported by National Governing Bodies. Find out more here.
SGOs are funded by the Department of Health and Social Care and the National Lottery through Sport England to deliver the School Games programme for three days a week. They are predominantly hosted by schools to whom the funding is paid. Outside of this, many SGOs also work as teachers, within School Sport Partnerships or in other roles in sport and schools. There are currently 452 SGO’s throughout England who are responsible for 2.4 million sporting opportunities for young people.
Regardless of who you are – teacher, student or parent, being a part of the School Games can be a hugely beneficial and rewarding experience.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR REGISTERED SCHOOLS OR ORGANISERS?
- ACCESS EXCLUSIVE CONTENT to a range of tools, resources, videos and case studies which support the delivery of the School Games.
- BE ELIGIBLE FOR INCENTIVES AND REWARDS by blogging on the SG website schools will be considered for a range of prizes and fantastic promotion opportunities.
- PUBLICISE SPORTING EVENTS AT YOUR SCHOOL by customising your own school profile page to share this with students, parents, and others in the local community.
- ACCESS THE SUPPORT OF YOUR SCHOOL GAMES ORGANISER - Get in contact with your local SGO firstname.lastname@example.org to access information on the Sutton schools annual calendar of competitions and festivals.
- APPLY FOR THE SCHOOL GAMES MARK is an award scheme rewarding registered schools for their commitment to the development of competition, physical activity and leadership across their school and into their community.
- ACCESS EXCLUSIVE CONTENT, CURRENT NEWS & OFFERS – regardless of your place within our network, all users registered with the School Games website can make use of our growing resource library, containing useful materials to make your job easier. Exclusive offers from the network will appear on your dashboard regularly.
- CREATE A CALENDAR OF EVENTS – on your dashboard you can freely manage all of the local inter-school or county level events and create a simple calendar that you can both use and share with others.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOUNG PEOPLE?
- Have fun and enjoy themselves!
- Develop friendships and meet new people
- Become more determined and demonstrate resilience
- Understand and demonstrate the importance of respect for others
- Learn to develop self-control and manage emotions
- Experience being part of a team and understand your contribution to it
- Win with pride and lose with grace
- Learn the importance of practice and preparation
- Learn how to set realistic goals and work towards achieving them
- Aspire to improve and challenge themselves