Surrey Outdoor Learning and Development (SOLD) is Surrey County Council’s (SCC), not for profit, outdoor learning service. We are passionate and confident about the contribution teaching children outdoors can make to their health, wellbeing, engagement and development especially post the coronavirus lockdowns.
Right now, the outdoor environment is the healthiest place to be and naturally lends itself to social distancing and we have designed offers so that you can be totally reassured that they meet current government guidelines. Each offer has been thoroughly risk managed and we have endorsement from SCC’s Health and Safety Team.
Everything we are offering is bespoke in order to meet your individual requirements and to give you maximum confidence with peace of mind.
Take your pick from:
- Outreach in your school grounds
- Our outdoor learning experts come to you and deliver a wide range of outdoor learning programmes in your school grounds. These will be bespoke to your individual needs and could include curriculum linked activities or programmes to support the health and wellbeing of your children post lockdown.
- Day and residential visits to our outdoor learning centres:
- We can offer outdoor learning programmes to take place at our three outdoor learning centres in Dorking, Guildford or Richmond. They have extensive outdoor natural space and provide a safe, healthy and engaging learning environment for your young people.
- When government guidelines allow, we offer bespoke residential trips to our centres staying in yurts, high quality log cabins or teepees depending upon which centre you choose to stay at. Our hugely popular residential visits are inclusive of accommodation, a comprehensive programme of exciting outdoor activities and three, nutritious, home cooked meals a day.
- Group leaders choose several learning outcomes from the SOLD Outcome Learning Tree which their groups will work towards during their visit or stay.
- CPD, free advice and guidance for schools to delivery outdoor learning safely:
- We have designed a specific CPD training programme to help teachers deliver outdoor learning in their own school grounds in line with safety guidelines. We have also collated a number of resources to give you ideas about how to do this.
- Join our ‘Beyond the Classroom Community’ for teachers and educators:
- Sign up to our twice termly newsletter full of news, lesson plan ideas, resources and much more here. Be the first to know about hub meetings around Surrey County with like-minded outdoor educators to share ideas as well as listen to regular speakers.
- Attend our hugely popular, annual ‘Beyond the Classroom’ Conference with quality industry speakers and plenty of hands-on, curriculum linked workshops packed full of ideas and lesson plans to take back to school. Book here.
- Join our supportive SOLD - Beyond the Classroom Community facebook group for further resources and opportunities to collaborate with other outdoor learning educators here .
We would welcome the opportunity of supporting your school on its journey to embed outdoor learning into your wider curriculum.
Take a look at our website www.surreyoutdoorlearning.uk for more details about how we can help you and drop us an email firstname.lastname@example.org with your details and we will be in touch to help.